I got these leaves from one of my relative who has the plant.
The botanical name for this plant is known as Senna accidentalis or Casia accidentalis.
I tried Tambuli and Chutney, using these leaves and it is an excellent herb dish. It goes well with plain rice. (Tambuli) and chutney can be served with chapatis, rotis, rotti or any other main dishes.
Tambuli is prepared using curd or butter milk. It is one of the signature dish from Udupi and served in the beginning of the lunch. Tambuli is mixed with rice. It helps to digest the food well and keeps you healthy.
Tambuli is prepared using very simple healthy spices like jeera/cumin seeds, pepper, ingh and fresh coconut.
Let us see the recipe of Tambuli here.
Ingredients :To Fry :
Ghee : 1/2 Tsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Pepper Pods : 5 to 6
Green chilly : 1
Coconut : 2 Tbs
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Elemuri leaves : 1 Handful
To Add :
Curd : 3 to 4 Tbs
Salt : Required Salt.
To Season :
Ghee : 1/2 Tsp
Jeera/Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Asafoetida : A pinch
Curry Leaves : 3 to 4
Method :1. Pull out the leaves from the stick.
2. Wash it nicely and keep it aside. Wash curry leaves and a green chilly.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add ghee, jeera and pepper pods.
5. Fry for 10 seconds. Add green chilly and curry leaves. Fry a little. Add ingh.
6. Add Elemuri leaves and fry nicely till they turn crisp. ( On low and medium flame, do not burn).
7. Put off the fire and add coconut. Mix all the ingredients well.
8. Grind it with little water once the ingredients are cooled down.
9.Shift it to a serving dish. Add salt.
10. Add 1/2 Cup of curd. ( 4 to 5 tbs). Mix it well.
11. Add jeera and curry leaves seasoned with ingh and ghee.
12. Serve as one of the side dish with lunch.
One should use tender Elemuri /Elemuni/Elevarige Leaves. Use fresh leaves.
Tamubuli should be mild. Having Fresh coconut is always good for health. It is rich in good cholesterol and contain healthy properties.
Tambuli can be added with water and can be served as healthy drink.
Time : 20 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 .
Prepared Chapatis using this Elemuni Soppu Tambuli.