It is used as raw and cooked too. Here is a simple recipe which I tried long back and thought will put up here. It is one of the quick and simple dish but definitely you will end up eating more than what you usually eat.
I have used capsicum and tomatoes with home prepared sambar powder. This curry goes well with all the main dishes.
Let us see some benefits of having capsicum in our diet.
Capsicum is an excellent source of vitamin A and C. It has a rich source of dietary fiber. It has Vitamin E, B6 and folate. Capsicum helps to get relief from stomach issues, back pain, headaches, skin aging, peptic ulcers, menopause problems. It is good for diabetes. It has anti inflammatory properties.
Let us see the recipe now :
Ingredients :Capsicum : 3 to 4
Tomatoes : 2 to 3
Sambar Powder : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
To Season :
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingh /Asafoetida : A little
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Green chilly : 2
Oil : 2 Teaspoons
To Add :
Methi /Fengrik Seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Coriander leaves : 1 Tablespoons
Grated Ginger : 1 Teaspoon (An inch)
Turmeric powder : A pinch
Jaggery : 1 Tablespoon.
Method :1. Wash and remove the seeds from capsicum and cut into small pieces.
2. Wash and cut tomatoes and cut into small pieces.
3. Wash and slit green chilly, cut coriander leaves and curry leaves.
4. Wash and remove the outer layer of ginger and grate it.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add 2 tsp of oil
6. Add mustard seeds, jeera and fry. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add slit green chilly
7. Add ingh and curry leaves. Add cut capsicum and fry nicely for 2 minutes.
8. Add cut tomatoes, a pinch of turmeric powder and stir nicely. Add methi seeds and glass of water.
9. Let the capsicum and tomatoes cook till they turn soft.
10. Add required salt, grated ginger and mix it well.
11. Add Sambar powder /curry powder, jaggery and stir the curry well.
12. Let it boil nicely for 3 to 4 minutes.
13. Shift the capsicum curry to a serving dish.
14. Add cut coriander leaves and serve with the main dish of your choice.
Note :Before You use vegetables it should be washed and kept in plain water for at least 10 minutes.
Wash and Dip full capsicum and tomatoes in water at l east for 10 minutes.
Use of jaggery is optional. Use of any sambar powder is optional.
I have used home made Sambar powder.
Time : 20 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3
Home Made Sambar PowderDry roast 2 to 3 tbs of coriander seeds, 1/4 tsp of methi seeds, 1/2 tsp of jeera, 1 tsp of urid dal, 6 to 8 byadagi chilly and 1 tsp of channa dal separately. (One by one).
Dry grind once it is cooled.
Mix it well and use fresh Sambar Powder to have good aroma.