Thursday, August 10, 2017
Saturday, May 27, 2017
I have tried a dry curry with Cauliflower and it tasted yummy. It goes well with almost all the main dishes like rice, chapatis, rotis, pooris or even dosas.
Simple spice and little Besan/kadale hittu/Chenna flour/Gram flour is added to gobi and tried as mild spicy dry curry.
Our friend Rajashree Vaidya is used to add besan flour to the curry, so that it binds the pieces well roasted nicely gives out a good aroma too.
Let us see some benefits of eating " Cauliflower " in our diet.
Cauliflower is good for hypertension. It is a good source of antioxidant and helps to strengthen the immune system. It helps to support bone health, and good for brain. It gives a relief to indigestion and good for diabetes and balance the cholesterol levels. Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Vitamin B -6, Vitamin B1, B 2, B 3 and Vitamin E. It provides vital minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, manganese. It is a rich source of protein and very low amount of fats.
Cauliflower Dry Curry has " No Onion " or " No Garlic " in it. It is very easy and simple to prepare.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :Cauliflower : 1 Bowl (Medium Sized)
Oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Jeera/Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Chilly Powder : 1 Teaspoon
Methi Seeds : 4 to 5 Seeds
Ingh/Asafoetida : A pinch
Besan/Gram flour : 2 Teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Coriander Leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Wash cauliflower nicely and soak in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the warm water. Leave it for 10 minutes.
2. Wash cauliflower again nicely with normal water. Keep it aside.
3. Wash curry leaves and coriander leaves and cut into small.
4. Keep a pan on the fire. Heat and put oil. Add mustard seeds, urid dal and methi seeds. Let mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add jeera/cumin seeds and ingh. Add curry leaves. Mix it well. Add washed cauliflower.
6. Reduce the flame to low. (Not very low). Stir nicely and add a pinch of turmeric powder.
8. Add salt, garam masala, chilly powder and mix it well. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Stir and mix the vegetable nicely.
9. Add 2 teaspoons of dry besan/gram flour/chenna flour on the top and slowly turn the vegetable pieces. Add cut coriander leaves.
10.. Let it cook nicely till golden brown. Now mix all the ingredients nicely and shift the ready cauliflower dry curry to a serving bowl. Serve with a main dish you have prepared.
Note :Use of onions or garlic is optional. Adding any spice is optional. Example : chat masala. rasam/samabar powder, jeera -coriander powder, pav bhaji masala etc.Add of more oil is optional.
Time : 15 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.
Sunday, December 30, 2012
Cauliflower dry curry is filled in chapati dough and rolled as parata. You can have them with curd/yogurt or any type of pickle or chutney. Many like it with tomato ketchup.
There will be 2 steps here. The first one is to prepare cauli flower and then you proceed to prepare parathas.
For Cauliflower dry curry.To Cook :
Cauliflower : 1 Medium size
To Add :
Garam Masala : 1/2 Teaspoon
Chilly powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Cut coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Turmeric powder : A pinch
Salt : To Taste
To Season :
Cooking Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Method :1. Wash and dip cauliflower in a big bowl of warm water. Add some salt to water let cauliflower stay in warm water for 10 minutes.
2. Wash it again and cut into small pieces. (Remove the hard stem parts).
3. Wash and cut coriander leaves into thin pieces.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil and mustard seeds. Let mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add jeera and fry for 10 seconds. Add cut cauliflower and fry nicely. Add very little water.
6. Cover the lid and cook cauliflower on low flame till they turn soft.
7. Add salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and chilly powder. Stir well.
8. Cook for 2 minutes and remove the ready cauliflower dry curry from the fire.
9. Let it completely cool. Add cut coriander leaves and smash the cooked cauliflower.
10. Take a tablespoon of Cauliflower dry curry and turn them as small ball shape.
Cauliflower Parata:Things Needed :
Wheat flour : 3 Cups
Cooking Oil : 1 Tablespoon.
Water : To mix the flour.
Method :1. Mix little salt, 1 tablespoon of oil and wheat flower with required water and prepare chapati dough and Let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Kneed the dough nicely and divide them as small balls.
3. Take a small portion of that chapati dough and spread it a little.
4. Place a tablespoon of cauliflower dry curry and place it in the middle of chapati dough.
5. Now pull the dough from all sides and just pat it.
6. Dip this parata and roll it with a help of chapati roller. Do not put weight while rolling.
7. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put a teaspoon of oil on the top of hot tava.
8. Put rolled cauliflower parata on the hot tava. Cook on both sides till it is cooked.
9. Remove it from the pan and serve with a cup of curd and pickle.
10. Repeat the same with remaining dough and the curry.
11. Repeat the same type and prepare the remaining paratas.
12. I have served the parata with onion Raitha.
Note :Use very little water to cook. Use of more /less spice is optional. Do not make the dry curry watery. Let all the moisture disappear. Add little besan if the curry turns watery.
Onion Raitha :
Cut 2 onions, 1 green chilly and 2 table spoons of coriander leaves into very small pieces. Put this onion mixture into 1 cup of curd ( Yogurt). Add little salt to it. Onion Raita is ready to serve.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
I have used cauliflower, spice powder and some simple spices.
Let us see some benefits of eating " Cauliflower " in our diet.
Cauliflower belongs to the Brassicaceae family and broccoli, Kale and Cabbage also included in the same group. Cauliflower helps to reduce the risk of heart and brain disorders, It helps to give a relief from indigestion. It boost eye health and maintain the hormone balance. Detoxify our body and aids in weight loss. It helps to keep away us from harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation and diabetes. It is filled with antioxidant properties and helps in strengthening the immune system. It helps to balance cholesterol level in our body. Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins like, Vitamin C,folate, Vitamin K and E, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, B2, B3. Cauliflower contain minerals like, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and low amount of unsaturated fat. It does contain omega -3 fatty acids. It has good dietary fiber in it.
Let us see the recipe now "
Things Needed :To cook :
Cauliflower : 2 cups. ( 1 medium size cauliflower).
To season :
Oil : 2 Tablespoons.
Curry leaves : 2 Tablespoons.( cut into small pieces).
Jeera : 1 Teaspoon.
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon.
Urd daal: 1/2 Tea spoon.
To Add :
Green chilly : 1
Vanghi baat powder: 2 Teaspoons.
Salt : to taste.
Turmeric Powder: a pinch.
Coriander leaves: 2 Table spoons.( cut into small pieces).
Coconut : (Optional). : 1 Table spoon. ( grated).
Method :1.Wash and soak cauliflower in water for at least 30 minutes.
2. Wash it again and put it in salt water. Let the water be hot/warm. Add 2 teaspoons of salt to water.
3.Soak cauliflower in it for at elast 10 minutes. Cut it into small pieces. (like flower bud).
4. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Wash green chilly , curry leaves and coriander leaves. Slit green chilly.
5. Keep a pan and heat. Add oil, mustard seeds, urid dal and fy till mustard seeds splutter.
6. Add curry leaves and cut green chilly. Add cauliflower and fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add very little water and cook on low flame till it turn slightly soft. ( Do not over cook).
8.Add salt, turmeric powder and mix it well. Let all the moisture disappear.
9. Add vanghi baath powder and mix it nicely. Let it be on low flame.
10. Add a teaspoon of oil on the top. Do not mix it as soon as you put the oil.
11. Add grated coconut and mix the whole ingredients slowly. Add cut coriander leaves.
12. Shift the curry to a serving dish and serve as you want to be.
Time : 15 minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3
Style : Karnataka.
Vanghi baat powder :
Dry roast channa dal, urid dal, (each 1 teaspoon), coriander seeds (2 teaspoons), and 2 to 3 cloves. Dry roast 5 to 6 red chilly ( Byadagi chilly ). Dry grind when it cools down. Add ingh and curry leaves while frying.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
This " Cauliflower Parota " is one of my earlier recipe. I had a chance to eat when we visited one of our friend's house in Dubai. (when we were there of course). I just watched the process and she too was interested in telling the recipe. It looked so easy. It was really yum yum and thanks to her. I learnt a one more yummy Paratha/Parota. I had prepared this my self after some days it came out well and we like it a lot.
Lets see some benefits of eating Cauliflower in our diet/Day to day life.
Cauliflower is good relief for indigestion, diabetes, obesity and hypertension. It is full of antioxidant properties and help in strengthening the immune system. It helps in maintaing bone and brain health. It helps to balance the cholesterol levels. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C, folate, Vitamin K and small amout of Vitamin B - 6, Vitamin B 1. B-2, B - 3 and Vitamin E. They contain minerals like calcium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium and manganese. It is a good source of protein and contain very low fat content. It has good amount of fiber and helps to provide dietary fiber. It does contain Omega 3 fatty acidswhich is good for us.
(Cauliflower cooked, boiled, drained with/without salt : 1452 mg of Omega -3 fatty acids).
Caution : Remember Cauliflower contain lots of chemical spray to keep them shelf stay for longer period and pest. One needs to wash cauliflower thoroughly and keep in plain water at least for 2 hours. Wash it again and dip in hot water/warm water with a tablespoon of salt at least for 20 minutes.. It helps the worms to be off from cauliflower.
Lets see the recipe now :
Things needed:Cauli fFlower: A small cauliflower.
chilli powder: 1/4 Teaspoon
Cummin/jeera powder : 1/2 Teaspoon.
Garam Masala powder : 3/4 Teaspoon
Salt: to taste
Coriander leaves: 2 to 3 sticks
Oil: 6 Table spoon.
Wheat flour: 2 Cups
Method:1. Take a big bowl and add wheat flour, a tablespoon of oil/ghee and salt. Mix it nicely.
2. Add water and prepare chapati dough and keep it aside.
3. Wash and grate cauliflower in a big bowl. (2 cups gratings should be there)
5. Wash and cut coriander leaves and add it to the cauliflower gratings. Mix it nicely and keep it aside.
8, Now put the other rolled chapati on the top of mixture spread chapati and bind the edges.
9. Lightly roll the chapati roller on the top.
10. Keep a tava on the fire and heat. Sprinkle oil on the top and put the pressed cauliflower parata
on the hot tava. Sprinkle oil and cook them for a minute. (Let it cook nicely).
11. Turn the other side and cook for another 30 seconds.
13. Repeat the same with the remaining dough and cauliflower mixture.
14. We had " Cauliflower Parota " with a cup of curd and Chutney powder.
Note :Prepare chapati dough bit thick, so that you can roll the chapati slightly later. (or it might tare).
Adding cauliflower spice mixture according to your taste is optional. More/less.
Adding any other spice is optional. Roll it slowly.
Time : Total time : 40 minutes : Preparation time : 15 minutes + cooking time - 25 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 (According to the requirement ).
Sweet Guli Appa is any time munching food. I do prepare this Sweet Guli Appa very often and was not able to click a pic. We just love to mu...
My name is Nalini Somayaji. Teaching is my profession. Cooking is my passion. Reading, travelling, visiting new places, having fun with kids are some of the hobbies I can say. My recipes are Healthy, quick, easy and simple. Grown up being a traditional family member I love and respect Indian culture and traditions. Love classical dance and music.
Learn More →