Long Brinjal is a dry palya is a yummy side dish that you can even prepare brinjal rice as one pot meal.
These brinjals are from the garden of Dhatrivana a beautiful resort near Tumkoor. Anthapura ladies group from Face book page has arranged a trip to Dhatrivana as picnic. Mrs. Gheetha Upendra Bangalore has organised this picnic and I joined the group as one of the member.
There were lots of events which were really fun to group and lots of prizes we got vegetables as compliments to the winners. It was indeed a very memorial trip and I enjoyed it thoroughly with other sakhis of Anthapura.
No Onion or No Garlic is used in this dry curry/Palya.
Ingredients :Long Brinjals : 5 to 6
Capsicum : 1
Coconut Chutney Powder : 2 Tbs
Rasam Powder : 1 Tbs
Tamarind Tokku : 1 Tbs / Tamarind Pulp.
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A little
Jaggery : 1 Tbs
Coconut Oil : 2 Tbs
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Urid Dal : 1/2 Tsp
Ingh /Asafoetida : A little
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8.leaves
Coriander leaves : 2 Tbs
Method :1. Wash and cut brinjal into small pieces and put it in a bowl of water for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Wash capsicum and remove seeds. Cut capsicum into small pieces.
3. Wash a green chilly and slit, coriander and curry leaves into small.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil. Add mustard seeds, urid dal and ingh.
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add slit green chilly and curry leaves. Add brinjal pieces. (Remove water completely before adding).
6.Fry nicely and add cut capsicum. Stir slowly. Add little turmeric powder and 1/2 cup of water.
7. Let it cook till soft on medium flame.
8. Add tamarind Tokku, required salt and 1 tbs of jaggery and mix it well. Reduce the flame to low.
9. Add Coconut chutney powder and rasam powder. Stir slowly and let it cook for 2 minutes. (Low Flame).
10. Shift it to a serving dish and serve when all the moisture disappear. Add cut coriander leaves just before serving.
Note :Soaking cut brinjal helps to remove the bitterness in brinjal. Take out the water from soaked brinjal and then add it to the seasoning. Adding tamarind tokku is optional. You can add Tamarind pulp instead of tokku. Adding more/less jaggery is optional. Adding any cooking oil is optional.
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.
Coconut Chutney powder :
Dry grind dry coconut pieces 1 Bowl, roasted urid dal 1 tb, dry fry chilly and tamarind , required salt. Mix it well and fill in the glass bottle.