In South Canara, the use of kesu is often tried with varieties of dishes. This is one of the dish that every one likes and when you are looking for some thing spicy, traditional, quick dish that helps as one of the side dish.
Colocasia or Kesu leaves are good for keeping our body warm. They are filled with fibers. Leaves are good to have since they are loaded with nutritious value.
Kesu /Colocasia Spicy Palya is one of the traditional dish from Udupi / South Canara.
No Onion or No Garlic is used in this Kesu / Colocasia Spicy Palya.
Ingredients :Kesu Leaves : 10 to 15 : Small and medium sized
Raw Rice : 1/2 Cup
Methi /Fenugrik Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander Seeds : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Red chilly : 6 to 8
Tamarind : 1/2 Lemon size
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A pinch
Ingh / Asafoetida : A pinch
Method :1. Wash and soak raw rice and methi seeds for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Grate coconut, grind it with coriander seeds, jeera, red chilly and tamarind.
3. Add soaked rice and grind it like rava consistency.
4. Add salt and churn for a few seconds.
5. Remove it from the mixi jar and keep it aside.
6. Now wash and clean Kesu /Colocasia leaves. Remove the stem part if it is hard.
7. Cut it into very small pieces.
8. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of oil.
9. Add mustard seeds and urid dal. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add ingh and a few curry leaves.
10. Put cut Kesu leaves and stir slowly.
11. Spread them evenly. Add ground rice - spice mixture like dosa batter on the top of the leaves.
12. Sprinkle some water on the top and cover. Cook on low flame for 5 to 8 minutes.
13.Now remove the cover and mix it slowly. Let cooked leaves and the batter mix well.
14. Cook on low flame till it is done. Add little oil on the top. ( 1 Tablespoon ).
15. Shift the Kesu /Colocasia Spicy Palya to a serving dish and serve.
Note :Use a thick bottom pan to prepare this dish. Let the flame be low and medium while cooking this dish. Do not use so much water while grinding. Let the batter be like rotti consistency. Sprinkle some water on the top while it is cooking. You can repeat the process of sprinkling water on the top at least 4 to 5 times. So that it does not get burnt. Low flame helps the dish to cook well. Do not add any jaggery. It should be only khara/spicy and slightly savoury.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3.