Talipittu is one of the traditional dish and we have read in our story books written by great Kannada writers. In stories the son or son in law comes home and the mother /mother in law prepares this Talipittu and serves with butter, coconut chutney, chutney powder and even curd. We used to feel like eating Talipittu while reading the explanation of preparing this wonderful dish.
You can serve soft rotti to elders and the crispy to the youngsters. Making all age group happy in this way is easy and the slogan goes like this " Tummy full - Happy Smile ".
Let us see the recipe now.
Things Needed :Rice flour : 2 Cups
Water : 3 cups.
Salt : As required
Onions : 2 (Medium size)
Curry leaves : Handful
Coconut : 1 bowl (1/2 of one coconut)
Coriander leaves : 1 Handful
Jeera : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ginger : 1 Tablespoon (Grated)
Green chilly : 2
Oil : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Method :1. Wash and cut onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chilly and grate ginger.
2. Grate coconut and keep it aside
3. Keep water for boiling and add salt to it. Let it boil.
4. Add cut onions and coconut and mix it well.
5. Add rice flour and stir once and put off the fire.
6. Let it get bit cool. Mix the dough nicely. Add a tablespoon of oil and kneed the dough. Talipittu dough is ready. ( Add water if required and kneed it well).
7. Divide the dough into small portion.
9. Take a small portion of the talipittu dough in a hand and spread it on the pan.
10. Dip your fingers in oil and spread the dough as you desire.
11. Keep this talipittu spread pan on the fire and cook on low and medium heat.
12. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of oil on the top of talipittu.
13. Let it get crispy and remove it from the pan. (No need to cook on other side).
Repeat the same with remaining dough.
14. Serve with butter and the side dish you have.
You can also prepare flat Talipittu :Use the same Talipittu dough.
Butter paper or any plastic cover. (Cooking oil's cover).
1. Apply 1/2 teaspoon of oil on the butter paper. Spread it around.
2. Take a handful of talipittu dough and spread it in your finger. (Evenly).
4. Let the flame be low. Wet your hand (in water/or little oil) and slowly remove the talipittu.
5. Place it on the tava and cook on medium heat. Put little oil on the top. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Tava prepared " Talipittu " is ready to serve.
8. Serve with the side dish of your choice.
Note :Water should be boiled nicely. Cut the onions and other ingredients into thin pieces. Add water if required. The dough should be soft. (Easy to spread). Do not make the dough watery. It does not taste good. Adding more or less oil is optional. Adding more/less chilly is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes or little more . (another 5 to 10 minutes).
Serves : 3 To 4.