We do prepare this Green Gram Curry very often,
As I said it is easy, simple, quick and needs very minimum ingredients.
I have used Green Gram /Whole moong, tomatoes, garam masala, rasam powder.
I prepared this curry for having Kuhbz a type of roti. This Kahbz or Kubz is brought all the way from Dubai by our close friend Pushpa Talitaya. This is a bring back memory of eating Kuhbz after some years.
Kuhbz is normally baked in clay oven and it is the traditional dish from Middle easy, Iran, Lebanon.
No Onion or No Garlic Dish.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things needed :To Cook
Whole moong/Green Gram : 1 Cup
Tomatoes : 2 to 3
Potatoes : 2 (Medium sized)
Methi Seeds : 1/4 tsp
To Add :
Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 Tsp
Rasam Powder : 1 Tsp
Green chilly : 2
Ginger : An inch
Salt : As required
Butter ; 1 Tbs
To Season :
Cooking Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Jeera /Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Method :1. Wash and soak whole moong for 4 to 5 hours or you can cook them without soaking.
2. Wash and cut tomatoes, green chilly, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
3. Wash and peel off ginger outer layer and grate ginger and keep it aside.
4. Wash and cut potatoes with its skin and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pressure cooker on the fire and put whole moong, cut potatoes, slit green chilly and 1/4 tsp of methi seeds.
6. Add required water and cook it for 6 to 8 minutes. Leave it for cooling.
7. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil, mustard seeds.
8. Let it splutter. Add jeera and curry leaves. Add cut tomatoes, Grated ginger and fry nicely.
9. Add garam masala powder and rasam powder. Add little turmeric powder.
10. Stir nicely and add required salt. Add cooked moong and potatoes.
11. Add required water and cook nicely for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in between.
12. Shift the ready Green Gram curry to a serving dish, add cut coriander leaves and butter.
13. Serve with rotis, chapatis, poori or even dosas.
14. We had this Green Gram Curry with Kabz, a type or roti You get in Dubai.
Note :Soaking whole moong helps the moong to cook well and good nutritious too. Adding more spices is optional. Adding butter is optional. Adding more chilly is optional. Soaking whole moong is optional. You can cook whole moong without cooking also.
Time : Soaking time 4 hours + cooking time 30 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.