I have used medium sized rava, water and salt. You need to have the mould to prepare the shavige.
Shavige is the name for vermicelli. Shavige is normally prepared with raw rice/boiled rice or using both variety of rice.
Shavige/home made vermicelli/noodles is one of the traditional dish of South Canara. It is one of the tough preparation in those days. In olden days there were big Shavige mane (Shavige mould). One has to wash all the parts of this shavige and then use it. Rice is soaked and ground to smooth paste. Then stirring the ground batter with sufficient water (on fire), and then turn the dough in to big balls and steam. Steamed balls are put it into the mould and then press from the top. You will have to keep a plate at the below and then put them on the plain cloth. Once it it cooled down serve with coconut milk, chutney, thick coconut paladya (vegetable and curd curry), sambar the side list goes on and on. It is one of the nice food to have them for breakfast, lunch, snack time or dinner. Coastal area is rich with coconut trees and the use of coconut is used lavishly in cooking.
Let us see some benefits of having coconut milk in our diet.
Having coconut milk as one of the side dish with our daily food like idli, dosa, neeru dosa, sweet chapati/Holige /pooran poli, is a habit of our South Canara people. Coconut is rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins.
Coconut milk is filled with Vitamins C, E, B 1, B 3, and B 6. It contain minerals like iron, sodiumm, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. Coconut milk contain saturated fat, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. It helps improves the health of digestive system and good for digestion. Coconut milk helps to relax the nerves and the muscles, control blood sugar level and lower the blood pressure and reduce joint inflammation.
Coconut milk is good for hair care and skin care.
Let us see the recipe now :
Ingredients :Rava /Rave/Semolina (Medium sized) : 2 Cups
Water : 3 Cups
Salt : As required
Ghee / Oil : 1 Teaspoon
Method :1. Keep water for boiling in a big bowl /pan. Add required salt.
2. Pour rava slowly and mix it with water nicely while the water boils. See that no lumps are formed.
3. Once the rava mixes well and it turns thick dough put off the fire.
4. Put a spoon of ghee/oil and mix the dough well.
5. Divide the dough into small portion and make them as ball shape.
6. Apply oil/ghee to idly plates and keep it ready.
7. Now take a small portion of rava dough and put it in the shavige mould.
8. Press/turn the top and put shavige into idly plate.
9. Arrange the idli plates.
10. Put some water in pressure cooker and place a small container or plate.
11. Keep the pressure cooker on the fire and let the water boil.
12. Place the idli plates filled with shavige. Steam for 8 to 10 minutes.
13. Remove the pressure cooker lid and remove cooked shavige to a serving dish.
14. Serve with the side dish that you have prepared. We had " Rava Shavige " with coconut chutney and jaggery.
Note :Let rava cooks well while stirring. Use of chiroti rava is optional. Do it on medium flame. The dough should be mixed well or it sticks in the mould and it is hard to press.
Time : 40 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 .