Avalakki is prepared using boiled rice.
I have seen this process in my Doddamma's house when I used to stay in my childhood days. Its all a precious memory that come as dream for now.
Here is Sasive Avalakki one of the famous dish from Udupi. Even in big functions they do prepare Sasive Avalakki (Avalakki prepared using mustard seeds).
Here I have used raw mango tokku instead of tamarind pulp and ground mustard with coconut and added it.
Let us see the recipe now :
No Onion or No Garlic is used here and is one of the traditional dish from Udupi.
Ingredients :To Cook :
Avalakki /Poha /Aval (Thick) : 3 Cups
To Add :
Mango Tokku/Grated Mango : 1 Tablespoon
Jaggery : 2 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A little
Grated carrot : 1
Ghee : 2 Tablespoons
To Grind :
Cut or grated coconut : 1 Cup
Mustard seeds : 3/4 Teaspoon
Red chilly /Byadagi chilly : 4 to 5
To Season :
Cooking Oil : 2 Tablespoons
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
Groundnuts : 1 Handful
Curry leaves :6 to 8
Method :1. Wash avalakki, drain out all the water. Add salt and mix it.
2. Add turmeric powder, jaggery, mango tokku and mix it nicely. Add 1/2 Cup of water and leave it for 5 minutes.
3. Cut or grate coconut and grind it with mustard seeds. Wash and grate carrot.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil, mustard seeds, urid dal and 1 red chilly.
5. Add groundnuts and fry till it turns golden brown. Add curry leaves.
6. Add soaked avalakki mixture and mix it slowly on low flame.
7. Add 2 tbs of ghee and mix it slowly. Cover and cook for a minute.
8. Let it cook on low flame. Add ground mustard - coconut mixture and mix it nicely.
9. Add grated carrots and mix it nicely. Shift the ready avalakki to a serving dish.
10. Serve it with a cup of curd and banana.
Note :It should be soaked well, so that avalakki cooked turns soft. You can use more oil instead of ghee. Use of more /less chilly is optional. You can adjust jaggery according to your taste.
Do not grind coconut and mustard into paste. Use the thick variety of Avalkki.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 .