White Pumkin or Doodhi or boodu kumbala kai (Kannada language) is highly nutritious and it is low in calories and high in vitamins A, C and E. It contains minerals like magnesium, phosphorus and iron. It also lowers the cholesterol, Antidepressant and good for eyes too.
Carrots are notably rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber. Carrots contain Beta carotene which is powerful and natural anti oxidant and it helps to protect body from any harmful injury.
Bottle gourd or Lauki (Hindi) or Sorekai (in Kannada) has many good qualities. It is good for weight loss. (especially the juice). It helps to reduce the high blood pressure and keeps the heart healthy. The fiber and the minerals in the bottle gourd supports healthy digestion and helps to overcome constipation problems.
Veggy Halva can be prepared for parties, festivals or to celebrate some thing special. It can be eaten at any time of the day too.
Things Needed :
Bottle Gourd : 1/2 Portion.
Carrots : 2 to 3
White pumpkin 1/4 potion of the medim size
Ghee : 1/2 Cup
Sugar : 1 to 1 1/2 cup
Cardamom : 6 to 8 Pods.
Milk Powder : 2 Tablespoons
Cashew Nuts : 2 Tablespoons
1. Wash and remove the outer skin of the vegetable and grate it. Keep it aside.
2. Powder the cardamom with a spoon of sugar and keep it aside.
3. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put 1 Teaspoon of ghee and fry cashew nuts and remove the nuts when it turn reddish.
4. Now squeeze out the extra water from pumpkin. Keep the juice aside.
5. Put grated carrots, bottle gourd and pumpkin. Keep the flame medium.
7. Put a tablespoon of ghee while stirrring. Stir the mixture till it leaves the sides. Add ghee in between while stirring. (Littlt by little). Continue stirring.
8. Add milk powder and mix it well. When the halwa starts to leave the pan stir for another 2 to 3 minutes and put off the gas. Add the remaining ghee and the fried cashew nuts and mix again.
9. Shift this sweet Veggy Halwa to the serving bowl.
10. Serve Halwa after dinner or along with breakfast.
Note : You must be very careful while stirring. Do not allow the Halva to get it burnt. Even Bottle gourd also will leave out the its water. You can use this for curry or juice. You can also try this halva in the micro wave oven. Every 2 minutes you need to mix the mixture until its done. You can also use more sugar and ghee if you like. Use of milk powder helps to absorb the moisture. Use of jaggery is optional. Taste may differ. This halva is good for kids.
Cooking : 25 to 30 minutes
Serves : 6 to 8.