I have used Potatoes/Aloo, seasoning with usual mustard seeds and jeera. Added some sambar powder to give South Indian taste. Added some coconut to give South Canara taste. The combination was super good and we enjoyed it as one of the side dish with our lunch.
I also prepared Parata/Parota with the same Aloo Palya. Give a try and enjoy parota also. You will definitely like the taste.
Aloo is full of carbs and it provides energy to our body. It is better to cook rather than frying. Frying potato is not that good.
Its a simple curry and easy to prepare it.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :To Cook :
Potatoes /Aloo : 2 to 3 (Medium sized).
Cooking Oil : 2 Tb
Mustard Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1 Tsp
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
To Add :
Salt : As Required
Turmeric Powder : A little
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Chilly Powder : 1/2 Tsp
Pepper Pods : 4 to 5
Sambar Powder : 1 Tbs
Fresh Grated Coconut : 2 to 3 Tbs
Green chilly : 1
Method :1. Wash and peel off the outer layer of potatoes.
2.Cut them as french fry shape. ( Long and thin). Wash and slit a green chilly.
3. Wash it again and take out all the water and keep the potatoes aside. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add cooking oil, mustard seeds and jeera.
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add ingh, slit green chilly, crushed pepper and curry leaves.
6. Add cut potatoes and stir slowly. Let the flame be low and medium.
7. Sprinkle some water and cook. Stir in between. Crush pepper pods and keep it aside.
8. Add little turmeric powder and mix it well.
9. Let it cook till soft. Add required salt.
10. Add chilly powder and sambar powder.
11. Mix it nicely and add grated coconut. Cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
12. Put off the fire and shift Palya to a serving dish.
13 We had Aloo Palya for our lunch.
14. I used the palya to prepare Parota at night.
Adding more oil is optional. You need to add water little by little till Potato turns soft. (Do not add at once. Adding little by little is advisable).
Adding sambar powder adds to the taste.
No onions or garlic used.
Adding coconut is optional.
Time : 25 to 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 .