I had half bottle gourd piece left in the fridge. So I put every thing together and cooked, seasoned with mustard seeds, ingh, jeera and curry leaves. Yummy dal was ready with in 20 minutes.
NO ONION or NO GARLIC used here in this Bottle Gourd - Gongura Dal.
Let us see the recipe now :
Gongura leaves are savoury and no need to use any lemon extract or tamarind pulp;
As I said it is very easy to prepare and good to have with almost all the main dishes. Good nutritious dal for all age group.
Things Needed :To Pressure Cook :
Bottle Gourd pieces : 1 Bowl.
Gongura /Kenaf Leaves : 1 bundle. (only the leaves)
Moong dal : 1/2 Cup
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Ginger : Grated : 1 Teaspoon
To add :
Ghee : 1 Tablespoon
Pepper Pods : 1/2 Tsp
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A little
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Jeera /cumin seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Curry leaves : 6 to 8 leaves.
Method :1. Wash and remove gongura leaves from its sticks. Cut into small or put as it is in a pressure cooker.
2. Wash green chilly slit and put it with gongura leaves.
3. Wash ginger and scrape out the outer layer and grate it . Add it to gongura leaves.
4. Wash moong dal and add it to leaves.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water and little turmeric powder.
6. Wash bottle gourd and remove the outer layed of 1/2 bottle gourd. Cut it into small and put it with gongura leaves in pressure cooker.
7. Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Leave it for cooling.
8. Keep a pan and put cooked mixture of gongura leaves, moong dal, grated ginger, slit green chilly.
9. Add required salt and a glass of water. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil. mustard seeds, and jeera. Add crushed pepper pods.
11. Add ingh and curry leaves once the mustard seeds splutter. Add this to cooked dal .
12. Shift the ready Bottle Gourd - Gongura Dal to a serving dish and serve.
Note :You can use toor dal instead of moong dal. Moong dal is packed with nutritious value.
Adding more chilly is optional. We like mild spice taste and do not use much spicy.
Adding more ghee is optional.
Time : 20 minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.