We some time like to have some tangy, some sweet, some spice in our dishes. It taste yummy and the taste linger on your tongue for a long timw.
This is an easy dish and probably you can try during the mango season. But now a days you get mangoes most of the time in the year.
I have used half ripen Totapuri mango and some carrots. Adding some rasam powder and methi powder brings out the excellent aroma and taste to the curry.
I got this mango from a vendor when we went to Chamaraj Pete area in Bangalore. We normally by from a person who keeps vegetables in the cart to sell. He seems to be good and very paapa/kind I feel. When ever we go that side he invites us with his smile and we do buy Alsande, these mangoes and sweet potatoes from him. We do not bargain with him and he does not say more price too.
The vegetables are very fresh and it does not spoil.
As I said it is very Easy and Yummy.
Ingredients :Half Ripe Mango : 1
Carrots : 2 (Big size)
Home Made Curry Powder : 2 Tb
Methi Powder : 1/2 Tsp
Jaggery : 2 to 3 Tb
Salt : As required
Coconut Oil : 1 Tb
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Method :1.Wash mango and wipe out the moisture with a clean towel.
2. Grate mango and keep it aside.
3. Wash and scrape out the carrot outer layer. Grate it and keep it aside.
4. Wash a green chilly and slit it. Wash curry leaves and keep it aside.
5. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add coconut oil, mustard seeds and ingh.
6. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add a green chilly and curry leaves.
7. Add grated mango and fry nicely. Add grated carrots and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add jaggery, salt and stir continuously. Add little turmeric powder.
9. Mango and carrots turn soft. Now add curry powder and mix it well.
10. Add 1/2 tsp of methi powder and mix it nicely.
11. Let it cook on low flame for 2 minutes. Mix it nicely and shift the Mango - Carrot Gojju to a serving dish.
12. Serve as one of the side dish with any main dish. It goes well with plain rice, idli, dosa, chapati and rotti. You can use raw mango instead of half ripe mango.
Note :Use of 1/2 ripe mango gives out the good taste. Adding more jaggery is optional. Use of any cooking oil is optional. Use of any curry powder is optional. Ex : MTR< Mayyas etc It is simple and quick so you can try and enjoy. We like the curry as bit more sweet.
Time : 20 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3
Home Made Curry Powder :Dry roast, channa dal, urid dal, (each 1 tsp)
coriander seeds, 2 Tbs
Jeera : 1/2 Tsp
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh /Asafoetida : A little
Clove : 1
Red chilly /Byadagi Chilly : 5 to 6
Dry coconut : 2 Tbs (Grated)
Dry roast all the above one by one and dry grind it once it is cooled.
This amount of powder is enough for 1 Time only for the above said curry.
Dry roast methi/ fenugreek seeds separately and store it. Use it whenever you prepare puliyogre, mavina kai chitranna, and gojju dishes. It adds to aroma and good for health.