I have prepared dry curry using bitter gourd. This Bitter gourd curry goes well with rice, chapatis, rotis etc.
Let us see some benefits of eating " Bitter Gourd " in our diet.
Bitter gourd is well known for its ability to manage diabetes. It is good blood purifier. It has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties and one of the good blood purifier and take care of any skin disorders. It helps to improve respiratory health. Boost and strengthen the immune system. It is also a rich source of anti inflammatory, anti-fungal, antibiotic, anti -allergic properties.
Point to note : It is better to avoid bitter gourd during pregnancy or breast feeding period. It has a strong quality of reducing blood sugar level.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :To cook :
Bitter Guard : 1(Medium sized )
Jaggary : 3 Table spoons
Salt :to taste
To Add :
Rasam powder : 2 Tea spoons
Roasted and powdered sesame seeds : 1 teaspoon
Ingh ( Asafotida ) : a pinch
Coconut : 2 Tablespoons
Tamarind : 2 tablespoon pulp.
Turmeric powder: a pinch
To Season :
Mustard seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Urd daal :1/2 teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Curry leaves : 6 to 8 leaves.
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 sticks.
Method :1. Wash and cut bitter gourd into small pieces. Soak tamarind in hot water and squeeze out the pulp.
2. Dry roast sesame seeds till they pop up and dry grind it and mix with rasam powder.
3. Keep a pan and heat. Add oil and put mustard seeds and urid dal.
4. Add little ingh/asafoetida. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves.
5. Add cut bitter gourd pieces and fry nicely till slightly brown.
6. Add jaggery. salt, tamarind pulp and turmeric powder. Mix it well and add water. (1/2 cup).
7. Let it cook and turn soft. Add sesame seeds mixed rasam powder and mix it well.
8. Let all the moisture disappear. Mix it well and shift " Bitter gourd Curry " to a serving bowl.
9. Add coconut and coriander leaves and serve the curry with the choice of your main dish.
Note :Wash coriander leaves and curry leaves before use. You can put some salt and squeeze out its juice so that the bitterness in Bitter gourd reduces a little. (Remember that eating bitter gourd as they are healthy habit.
Frying on low flame will helps to reduce the bitterness in bitter gourd. Adding coconut is optional.
Dry roast sesame seeds and dry grind it. Mix this mixture with rasam powder and keep it ready to use. Adding any brand of rasam powder is optional. Use of chilly more/less is optional. use of any cooking oil is optional. We used coconut oil. Adding jaggery to the curry is optional. (More/less).
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : 2
Rasam powder Recipe :
It is a fresh and exact amount for one time use.