Seeme Badane kai (Chayote Squash) is very popularly referred as Bangalore badane (Bangalore Brinjal). It is also popular South Indian vegetable. It is used in different types of curries and vegetable stews and palya.(Dry Curry). In Kannada Chayote Squash is known as Seeme Badane Kai , in Tamil Nadu it is known as "Chow Chow" and in Andra Pradesh it is known as Bangalore Vankayya . In Darjiling it is known as Ishkus and it must have derived from word "Squash".
In Karnataka it is well grown and very famous vegetable and we do prepare varieties of curries, palya and even use it rice in varieties.
Lets see some benefits of eating Seeme Badane Kai.
Chayote or Seeme Badane Kai is very low in Calories. They contain no saturated fats or cholesterol. They are rich source of dietary fiber, anti oxidants, menerals and Vitamins. They are good for weight lose. They are good source of Vitamin B- Complex and Vitamin C. They contain moderate level of potassium.
The leaves and fruits have anti inflammatory properites and tea made from the leaves has been used in treatment of hypertension, arteriosclerosis and it helps to dissolve kidney stones.
Seeme Badane - Carrot Curry can be eaten with chapatis, poori, roti, dosa, idly and with plain rice. It is easy to prepare and will be liked by all age group.
There is no onions or garlic used. You can prepare this curry on festival days and on special days.
Things Needed :
Seeme Badane Kai : 2
Carrots : 2
Coconut : 3 to 4 Table spoons. (1/2 Cup)
Jeera: 1 Tea spoon
Pepper : 5 to 6 pods
Green chilly : 2
Salt :to Taste
Oil (Coconut) : 1 Tea spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Methi Seeds (Fenugrik seeds). : 3 to 4
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Coriander Leaves : 1 Table spoon.
Ingh : a pinch
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Method :1. Wash and remove the outer skin (I do remove the outer skin ) of carrots and Seeme badane Kai and cut into pieces. Cook them with sufficient water.
2. Grate coconut and grind it with 1/2 tea spoon jeera, 1/4 sppon of mustered seeds,
pepper pods (5 to 6 ) and green chilly. Remove from mixi jar and keep it aside.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put oil, mustard seeds and methi seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
4. Add curry leaves and jeera. Fry for 2 seconds.
5. Add cooked carrots and seeme badane kai. Mix it well. Add salt. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
6. Add ground jeera pepper, green chilly and coconut mixture. Add turmeric powder.
7, Add water if required and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add coriander leaves and mix it well.
8. Shift the ready Seeme badane kai curry to a serving dish.
9. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
10. You can also add thick curd (dahi or yogurt ) just before serving . Add curd , mix it well and serve it.
Note :You can use any cooking oil instead of coconut oil. You can also add some more vegetables like beans , peas etc. You can add lemon juice (lemon extract) at the end. You can also add cut onions if you like. You can add a pinch of turmeric powder to give yellowish colour to the the curry.
Time : 15 minutes
Serves : 2 to 3