Paradi Payasam is prepared using rice, jaggery and coconut. Some prepare it with maida (plain flour) also. It is always better to use rice for a healthy choice. It is some thing like Ade Prathamam (another type of classic traditional Payasam).
Coconut milk contain antioxidant, antiseptic and cooling properties. It contain abundance of nutrients. They are rich in Vitamins C, E and many Vitamin B. Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system and Vitamin B provide energy to the cells. Coconut milk is rich in magnesium, phosphorous and iron. Coconut milk is rich in lauric acid. It helps to reduce cholesterol. They contain germ fighting, anti fungal and anti vital properties.
Paradi Payasam is prepared by using white rice. Rice can be soaked and ground into thin paste consistency or finely powdered rice flour. It is always better to use soaked and ground rice flour. It taste better and texture is very fine. The problem with rice flour is like it is not fresh and some time the flour is rough like rava.
Lets see the recipe now
Things Needed :White Raw Rice : 1/2 Cup
Jaggery : 1/2 Cup
Coconut : 1 Cup (fresh)
Cardamom : 3 to 4 pods
Milk : 1 Cup
Method :1. Wash and soak rice for an hour and grind it nicely till paste consistency. (Use of water should be less). Add a pinch of salt to the dough.
2. Grate coconut and grind coconut and cardamom pods with little water and squeeze out the milk. ( Grind it again with little more water again and squeeze out the milk and keep it separately.
3. Now keep glass of water on fire and boil. Add jaggery and let it melt nicely.
4. Let it boil nicely. Now take boondhi preparing spoon and keep it above the boiling water.
7. Add the coconut milk which you got in second time.(little thinner than the first one).
8. Boil it for 2 minutes. Add the thick coconut milk. When it is about to boil put off the gas.
Note :You can filter jaggery syrup and then use it.(Helps to remove the dirt from jaggey). You can also make use of rice flour as I said. Just mix required water and a pinch of salt to prepare the dough. It should be like dosa dough. Adding a spoon of ghee adds to the taste. Adding more/less jaggery is optional. Any type of White can be used. For example ..dosa rice, sona masoori or basmati etc...
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 5 to 6 ( According to the serving quantity).