Winter season is here and you get loads and loads of fresh carrots in market and even with vendors. Usually I feel like grabbing all the fresh vegetables and bring it home. But that is not necessary to bring lot of vegetables at once because you get fresh vegetables each day. Anyways these carrots are real fresh and juicy and I tried Carrot Halva with Jaggery ( healthy twist). I have parceled this halva to my Brother in law's house and sister in law's house too. It is my way of sharing things with our people.
I have used carrots, jaggery, little amount of nuts (Walnuts, raisins, almonds and cashews) with fair amount of ghee. One should remember that sweet will be tasty only when you use exact amount of ghee that particular sweet required.
It is an easy and yummy dish and does not take much time.
Things Needed :Carrots( used Delhi Carrots as its said) : 5 to 6
Jaggery : 3/4 Cup (grated/powdered)
Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons of ghee
Cardamom Powder : 1 Teaspoon (3 to 4 whole )
Nuts : 1/2 Cup ( Cashews, almonds, raisins and walnuts).
Milk Powder : 2 Tablespoons (Optional)
Method :1. Wash and scrape out the outer layer of carrots and grate it. Keep it aside.
2. Grate jaggery and keep it aside.
3. Powder cardamom and cut nuts into small pieces.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add a tablespoon of ghee and cashews and raisins.
5. Fry them in ghee till they turn slightly golden brown.
6. Add carrots and fry nicely in ghee, let all the moisture disappear.
7. Add jaggery and stir. First it turns as bit watery. Then it starts to absorb the moisture.
8. Add ghee in between ( little by little) and then stir on medium flame.
9. Add milk powder (Optional) and fry nicely, Add almond and walnut pieces and stir.
10. It starts to leave the edges. Put cardamom and remaining ghee and stir for another 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Shift the ready carrot halwa to a serving dish.
12. Serve Hot/cooled Carrot jaggery Halva according to your wish. Carrots Halwa and Ice cream will be one of the good combination Tht surely you can enjoy.
Note :Fry carrots gratings nicely till they turn soft and let all the moisture disappear before you add jaggery.
Adding sugar instead of jaggery is optional. Adding more nuts is optional. Adding any other flavoured essence is optional. Adding milk powder is optional. You can use fresh boiled and cooled milk instead of milk powder.(1/4 Cup)
Time 20 to 25 Minutes
Serves : 5 to 6 (According to the servings.